Domain Name Backorder
Domain Name Backorder Frequently Asked Questions
What are Domain Backorders?
Domain Backorders is a service that helps you attempt to acquire a domain name when it becomes available for registration. It includes a Domain Monitoring membership and one year of domain name registration.
Placing a backorder does not guarantee that you will acquire the domain name. The current registrant might renew the domain name, or we might be unsuccessful in our attempt to register it for you.
This process is in place to provide each of our customers an equal opportunity to acquire domain names.
The Backorder Process
- You backorder a domain name — You can attempt to purchase a backorder for a domain name before it expires. Only one customer may place a backorder on a domain name. For instructions on placing a backorder, see Setting up Domain Backorders.
- You monitor the domain name — With your free Domain Monitoring membership, you can monitor your backordered domain name and receive email notifications within 24 hours of any changes in registrar, status, expiration date, or nameservers.
- We attempt to capture the domain name — We attempt to register the domain name before the release time, and we continue to make attempts until we or another registrar captures it.
If we capture the domain name — We award the domain name to you. We process a change of registrant and move the domain name into your account within 45
days. Your domain name is registered with us for one year from the time it enters your account.
- If we don’t capture the domain name — We email you that the backorder was unsuccessful.
- If we capture the domain name — We award the domain name to you. We process a change of registrant and move the domain name into your account within 45
What is Investor's Edge?
Investor’s Edge is a monthly subscription service that provides a list of more than 250,000 expiring domain names. This service gives you a jump on your peers by providing up-to-date information on domain name availability and lets you place an order immediately.
We update all the domain names on this power list daily. You can backorder a domain name from this list the moment you see it.
Does Domain Backorders guarantee domain name registration?
No. The Domain Backorders service does not guarantee you will acquire a domain name. When you place a backorder, we attempt to acquire the domain name for you when it becomes available for registration.
Each backorder comes with Domain Monitoring, a useful service that lets you track the domain name. It keeps you in the loop on that domain name’s expiration date and any changes to its status.
If a backordered domain name becomes available, but our service fails to acquire it, you can reassign the backorder to another domain name. If we are not able to acquire your domain name, we notify you by email.
What is Domain Name Monitoring?
Domain Monitoring tracks changes to domain name settings. It also includes historical tracking for domain name changes and monitors domain names registered anywhere. When information for these settings changes, Domain Monitoring sends you an email notification.
You set up monitoring for a year at a time. To continue monitoring domain names, you must renew your subscription.
You can use our Domain Monitoring service to track any domain name with a .com, .us, .biz, .net, .org, .info, .me, .mobi, or .co extension, even ones that are not registered by you or with us.
Specifically, this service monitors:
- Registrar —Notifies you of any change to a monitored domain name’s registrar.
- Status — Tracks any changes to a domain name’s status. For example, if a monitored domain name registered with us changes its status to unlocked, Domain Monitoring notifies you. It also notifies you when a monitored domain name that is not registered with us goes into pendDelete or redemptionPeriod status; indicating that the domain name might soon become available.
- Expiration Date —
Tracks any changes to the registration expiration date for any monitored domain name.
- Nameserver — Tracks nameserver changes.
Can premium domain names be backordered?
No. At this time, we do not offer backordering for premium domain names.
Why are certain domain names unavailable for backorder?
If the domain name you want to register is unavailable, under most circumstances, you can purchase a backorder for it. Domain Backorders is a service that helps you attempt to acquire a domain name when it becomes available for registration.
However, backorders are unavailable for domain names under the following circumstances:
- Single Backorder Policy — We allow only one backorder per domain name. Therefore, if another customer placed already placed a backorder on a domain name, then you cannot place a backorder on the same domain name as long as the original backorder remains effective.
- TLD Not Supported — We only support backorders for the following top-level domain names (TLDs): .biz, .com, .info, .me, .mobi, .net, .org, and .us.
- Blocked — We block customers from backordering certain domain names, such as our company’s domain name.
Can a domain name be backordered more than once?
Yes. More than one of our customers can purchase a backorder for the same domain name.
If more than one backorder is purchased for a particular domain name, the backorder placed first becomes the opening bid in a public auction, and other backorder holders are notified when the domain name goes to auction. Backorder holders and the general public have the opportunity to place a higher bid.
Note: The fee with a backorder will include the registration charge for 1 year, with any additional costs from Auction Up Pricing being added in.
If your backorder is not successful, you can reassign it to another domain name. Until your backorder captures a domain name, it does not expire.
How to view Backordered and Monitored Domain Names?
In the Domain Manager, you can view a list of your backordered and monitored domain names. The list includes each domain name’s current status and important dates, such as creation and expiration dates.
To View Your Backordered and Monitored Domain Names
- Log in to your Hiya Digital account.
- Next to Domain Backordering, click Manage.
- The following information is available for each listed domain name:
- Domain Name — The domain name you backordered or are monitoring.
- Status — The backorder or monitoring status for the domain name.
- Available Date — The scheduled availability date for the domain name. We calculate this date using the domain name’s expiration date, renewal grace period, and redemption period, if applicable.
- Create Date — The original date that the domain name was registered. If the date is within the last five days, the registrant might be testing the domain name’s monetization potential and might cancel it within the five-day grace period. To ensure we have a chance to register the domain name if it’s released, keep your backorder in place.
- Expiration Date — The date that the domain name expires.
- Registrar — The domain name’s current registrar.
Can more than one person backorder the same domain?
Prior to March 2009, we allowed only one backorder per domain name. This means that if another customer placed a backorder on a domain name prior to March 2009, you will not be able to backorder the same domain so long as the original backorder remains in effect. If a backorder was placed on a domain after March 2009, you can still place a backorder on the same domain.
How to Backorder your monitored domain name?
If you added Domain Monitoring to a domain name, you can also place a backorder on the domain name to attempt to register it if it becomes available. Or, if it’s listed for auction, the backorder gives you instructions on how to participate in the auction.
How to set up Domain Name Backorders?
If you want to capture a domain name that someone else currently has registered, you can place a backorder. Domain Backorders attempts to register the domain name if it becomes available. Or, if the domain name is listed for auction, Domain Backorders gives you instructions on how to participate.
How to cancel Domain Backorders and Monitoring?
If you no longer want to monitor or backorder a domain name, you can cancel your Domain Backorders and Monitoring service through the Domain Manager.
To Cancel Domain Backorders and Monitoring
- Log in to your Hiya Digital account.
- In the My Products section, click Domains/Domain Manager.
- From Buy/Sell, select Backorders and Monitoring.
- Select the domain names you want to cancel.
- Click Remove Selected.
- Select Remove backorders and monitoring.
- Click OK twice.
*Price excludes applicable taxes and ICANN fees.